Thursday 3 March 2011

IT Problems

Anybody with a computer has been there.  You've got a problem, you ring a "help" desk, they treat you like a fool (generally telling you to re-boot - when does that EVER fix anything?) and then basically making out you're a complete twit just because you're having a problem with an area that they're expert in.  Really? If you came to my husband and I asking for helping picking out the perfect Paw Paw or Avocado would you expect us to treat you like a fool just because we know better?  No, you'd expect helpful advice with a smile and that's what you'd get.  I, fool that I am, expect the same.

I've decided to do my own website.  Yes, I know, I'm crazy and foolish but it's do-able and I'll save myself thousands in the process.  What I didn't count on, was having problems from the outset with the most basic of functions with my host company.  I've had enough, so in no uncertain terms I told the company what I think.  Below is the email I just sent through.  It's not very professional, but neither are they, so I'm stooping.  Enjoy - I'll keep you posted with the outcome.


"I’ve been trying for days to resolve an issue I have with FTP and I’ve been receiving nothing but half-hearted “help” and arrogance from your helpdesk.  After waiting for 15-20 minutes on hold yesterday it was finally answered with a really welcoming “Yeah?”.  I’m not kidding.  Who answers the phone like that?  Then upon telling the person on the “help” desk my problem and after he managed to get into the program I was having problems with he told me I must have made a mistake in typing.  What?  I told him the username, the IP and the password – spelling each one out and he’s telling me I’VE made the error?  Honestly where did you get this guy?

I decided to log the problem with your “help” email address.  The response I got back was somebody in IT issuing me a new password.  Did this guy even read my email?  Now I have to create a new password and wait 15 minutes before I can log back in again. 

I’ve wasted days on this now.  I’m trying to start up an new business, I’m a Mum of 2 and I also run another small business.  I don’t have time to deal with people treating me like an idiot.  I might not know a lot about computers and the internet, but I know enough to know when I’m being treated like a fool.

Can somebody please help me resolve my issue.  If I can’t sort it out by tomorrow (Friday 4th March) I will be requesting a refund on the web hosting I have purchased through (name removed for privacy) and will be re-purchasing elsewhere."

1 comment:

  1. Go Regan! I wonder if you will get a response (or a refund). Then it will be time to name and shame.

    ReplyDelete