Monday 28 February 2011

Why is the world full of cotton-headed ninnymuggins's?

Coming into this adventure I thought I'd get what I want, when I want.  Who wouldn't?  You wouldn't come into a new venture thinking you'd fail at everything!  But why, oh why, are there just some horrible people out there who just want to be difficult!

I'm now at the point that I know what the business name will be (thanks to the lovely people at the Department of Employment, Economic Development and Innovation, what I will sell, how I will sell it and I THOUGHT where I would sell it.

www.littletreasures.com.au - obviously!  Apparently not.  Unfortunately after doing a search somebody already owns that domain name.  So I register an alternate domain name of littletreasures.NET.au.  Look, it's a website, it'll get the job done... but it's not ideal and now I've got a domain so it's all good.

After a little more research I find the contact details of the owner of the .com.au site.  Wowee!  Things are looking up.  I create the best email I can, all heartfelt niceness.  I even impressed myself.

The response literally was... "Make me an offer".  I know it's business... keep emotions out, but come on!  So, I did a bit of research came up with a figure and gave it my best shot.  Not good enough.  He comes back with a counter offer 4 times more than mine with a link to an obscure site to back up his counter-offer.  I personally thought the link backed up my price... but apparently he saw something different.   So I came back with my absolute maximum saying it was a start up business I couldn't possibly afford his price on my minimal budget - as a sweetener I offered a special rate for all the parents of his Child Care Centre.  I still haven't heard back from him to this date.  Nor shall I ever.

Unfortunately I was never going to win that little showdown.  My need was more than his... so he was always going to win.

Anywho... I've got my own domain name.  I'm in the midst of creating my own website (eeek!) and I should receive my first stock items in the next couple of days!  That's me caught up.  Next time you hear from me it will be for the launch of my official logo and Little Treasures Facebook page.  From then on all Blog updates will come from the LT FB page, so you'll have to Like it to get all my future updates.

I'm now off into the world of web development.  It's a scary, weird world full of strange languages, SQL databases, Wordpresses and Fantasticos!  I may not come back the same, but it will definitely be an interesting ride.

Sweet dreams all.

No comments:

Post a Comment