Monday 28 February 2011

THE Tradshow (buh buh buhhhhhh)

I really need to catch up now.  The trade show was over a week ago and so much has happened.  I do so like to waffle!

The Kids InStyle tradeshow was really the turning point for me.  I'd been warned that some suppliers wouldn't take on online retailers and they weren't wrong.  I think almost immediately, one of the first wholesalers' reactions was "ANOTHER online retailer?"  I don't get it?  I thought the world was tipping from retail to etail?  It's news everywhere that Australians are spending more and more of their money online!

Anyway, I kept my chin up and answered questions and asked questions.  About half way through I realised that I knew what I was talking about!  These snooty Melbourne artsy fartsy designers knew their stuff, but I knew my stuff too.  Plus, I wasn't just making it up as I went along I had a plan!

Until THE woman.  She was just another supplier who had some really cute baby clothes.  Nothing out of the ordinary but it would have been nice to stock her things.  Now, you all  understand the concept of seasons and how we wear different types of clothing for each season (I know you're not stupid and I'll get to the point!).  Well, I'm in the unenviable position of starting up a business mid-season.  Suppliers are currently selling summer gear while I obviously need to buy winter gear.  Not good, but I understand that and I'm doing my best to work around it.  Well, after Mrs Snooty finished berating me for starting up another online business (I think her term was "clogging up the internet with ANOTHER online retail store") her next question was "Well... what ARE you going to sell?"  I just stood there shocked, stunned and generally in a state of bewilderment.  In fact, I now knew what was going through Tony Abbot's head.  The ticker going across the bottom of MY screen was "Do not slap that woman... do not slap that woman... do not slap that woman".  I'm sure Tony's was something similar.  I can't even remember what my response was but I do remember thanking her for her time and floating off to the next stall.

Well, needless to say there is no way on God's green earth I will be stocking her products.  In fact, she motivated me to move into another line!  I'm going to create a Little Treasures range of baby clothing and her range is the first one I'm going to... how do I say this?  Take inspiration from!


Ha!  Take that snooty tradeshow woman and thank you for the beautiful photos on your website that I am, even now, downloading some inspiration from.

No comments:

Post a Comment