Monday 18 July 2011

What's In a Name?


Congratulations to Victoria and David Beckham on the arrival of adorable Harper Seven.  Seven? Yep, Seven.  I don't generally pick on baby names because I think picking a baby name is very personal to the parents.  I could understand Apple (I think it's cute... for them), Zuma (pity about the latest Zumba craze... but they weren't to know) and even Monroe (what were you thinking with MOROCCAN you crazy twits!!!)

I do not understand the use of a number.  It just seems weird well... because... it's a number not a name.  That being said, I loooove the name Harper.  It's just my kind of name.  Unique enough without being weird.

When choosing the name of our first child, we had a thousand girls names and zero boys names.  Basically, the decision came down to the last name in the book.  My husband and I were waiting for a plane, while I read a novel he read a baby name book.  He wrote down every boy's name he found acceptable.  I think there were about six or seven (there's that number again!).  I then read the list.  It went something like this "No, no, no, hell no!, maybe, no way. YES!!!!"  That's how Zander was named.  It's not a terribly romantic story, but it's our story.

It did take me a while to call him Zander.  I don't know why.  It's a name I've loved since the good old Buffy the Vampire Slayer days (I was a major fan).  But every time I went to say it it got stuck in my throat like a fish bone.  That eventually changed and now he's definitely a Zander.

When I was pregnant with our second son it was just as difficult.  We knew we were having a boy, but that didn't make it easier to name him.  My husband had always wanted to name one of our sons Levi.  It just didn't gel with me, however, I understand that we're both parents to this child and he loved the name.  I was prepared to compromise (one time only offer!)   We agreed that we would call our son Levi Cash.

Luckily for me, a friend of my husband's told him to scrap Levi... Cash was a really cool name!  I love it when the universe steps in to help me!

You might think Cash is an odd name, but it was my paternal grandmother's maiden name.  The Cash's were pioneers of North West Brisbane and it was a name synomymous for me with hard work, courage and history.  I wanted to pass on a piece of our family's heritage to my child.

I hear so many times that girls are easy to name, it's the boys that are difficult.  My one piece of advice is to offer up any name.  I never thought my hubby would like the name Zander... but how wrong I was!

If you're having trouble coming up with the perfect name why not visit http://www.babynames.com.au/ to help ease the pressure.  It's a fantastic site and it gives some tips on picking a name that you might not have thought up.  Like, do the initials spell anything out of the ordinary.  You definitely don't want Felicity Ursula King getting picked on at school!

No comments:

Post a Comment